[LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sat Mar 29 11:25:51 UTC 2014

On Sat, March 29, 2014 9:31 pm, rosea.grammostola wrote:

> It's handy that it comes with a bunch of samples, but why can't we make
> a sample pack and make that easy to install on Linux and add it
> (automatically) to let's say Qtractor?

Sample packs take time to create and most people who can be bothered want
to sell their efforts.*  There is nothing to stop us from collectively
building a complete sample pack and hosting it online. The cost of the
server is aroundE50/month which gets 20TB of bandwidth.

I am working on such a solution but other things keep getting in the way.
If I had more time/money then I could probably have it done in about 160
hours. At this rate I might get it finished by the end of the year.

* Conveniently ignoring CCMixter and Freesound as an option of course.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd