[LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 10:27:35 UTC 2014

What we can learn from Bitwig is that they base their work on musician's
needs. And their whole application is tailored towards a musician getting
his work done easier and more efficiently.

In Linux Audio very often the basis is a curious technical idea that might
have little to do with doing music. As a made-up example "why not create a
framework that will have all the midi connections in one place and it will
dynamically reassign those connections and plug them using my new format
that everyone will have to adapt because it is such a great and efficient
format".
This is a strictly technical passion. Commercial projects tend to figure
out what their users actually want.

Even right now in this thread I see people suggesting many cool technical
feats, but I see little interest in trying to understand what musicians
might want. As I usually write, sometimes getting heated metaphors back at
myself for that, often a musician needs some basic stuff first.

I spoke about no Linux sampler supporting WAVE loops, although all Windows
DAWs do.
Or that no sf2 player has volume envelope, although most non-Linux sf2
players do.

And the reason for this is because people are doing software for themselves
and not necessarily for others. This is not good or bad, this is just how
it is. You decide whether you want to change this or not.

Louigi.
http://www.louigiverona.ru/