[LAU] Filter arrangement - was- Bitwig: what we can learn from it

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Mar 31 01:38:14 UTC 2014

On Sun, March 30, 2014 11:44 am, Joel Roth wrote:

> 1. Nama's mastering network.
>
>                        +- Low -+
>                        |       |
>     Master_in --- Eq --+- Mid -+--- Boost -> soundcard/wav_out
>                        |       |
>                        +- High +

This was most interesting. I will say I was surprised that the
low/mid/high eq is in parallel but do remember that many of the analogue
versions do look like parallel circuits too.

My question is two (maybe three or four?) fold then. As I had always
assumed that these filters would be in series (something about how they
are laid out on the desks maybe?) ... How is this done in high end
analogue desks?

How is this done in the LV2 (etc.) plug-ins? (those with more than one
filter in them) If some do it one way over the other, how can I tell which
is which without going through code I don't understand?

Ardour, nonmixer, jackrack etc. are set up linear, one plugin into the
next. So if I want to use a lowpass, highpass and bandpass filter, they
will be one after the other. How will this affect the sound? Is one way
better than another? will they turnout to have the same effect anyway?
This is hard to visualize in my head and more of my experience has been
live sound reinforcement than recording.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net