[LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Mon Mar 31 13:35:25 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 07:55:27AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:

> On 03/31/2014 07:26 AM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
> >Your 'musician' seems to be one for whom everything
> >has to be prepared before and easy, so the only thing
> >that remains to be done is some clicking on a screen.
> >And then think him/herself a musician just as the
> >kids wasting their time with shoot-and-kill games
> >imagine they are soldiers.
>
> I'm not so sure it's that simple. Even well-trained classical and
> jazz musicians display evident prejudice towards certain kinds of
> music within their own genres. One "jazz" fan loves his Dixieland,
> another can't do without Sun Ra.

My remark wasn't about musical genres, to each his/her
own. And I know some nice music made by arranging samples
on a timeline - it's just very rare.

The point is that anything that doesn't require any effort
or background to make it is very likely not going to be
interesting [*]. Those who know their art by training,
study and experience will always be at an advantage and
dominate a scene, just as a trained sportsman will win
any competition against someone who doesn't care about
training.

Ciao,

[*] except maybe as a overhyped fashion, as happens in
the figurative arts.

--
FA