[LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 14:23:02 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 6:03 PM, drew Roberts wrote:

> Commercial projects try to figure out what they need to do to get money out of
> their customers. If that involves giving their users what thjey want at
> times, they will try and do that.

That surely explains the army of "shut up and take my money" folks in
Bitwig threads all across the interwebz :)

Simply put, a successful service/software is the one that was built
around a particular need (of people) that hadn't been taken care of
before. How that service/software evolves later is an entirely
different topic.

In production software, if your app doesn't assist in getting shit
down, you're out of the game. Sorry, but it's that simple. Users can
put up with a lot of stuff as long as shit gets done.

Make a simple test. Try doing the most basic thing in existing DAWs on
Linux, including Bitwig -- getting sound out of a MIDI track -- and
count steps, then multiply it by 20 tracks to get a better idea of
boring work you need to do every time (Hint: A3 will win, because I
specifically bugged Paul about it).

Alexandre