[LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Mar 31 14:42:02 UTC 2014

On 03/31/2014 04:02 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> Robin might correct me if I'm wrong, but the primary objective of him
> creating Reasonable Synth shipped with A3 is that A3 used to produce
> _no sound whatsoever_ when you tried to play back a .mid file in the
> importing dialog.

Any MIDI track, actually (midi auditioning only came later).

> And there had been no synths in the binary bundle
> before either, AFAIK.

well yeah. The primary objective was to no longer answer the recurring
question "Why can I not hear MIDI?"

Even though the way we preempted that question won't make the user any
wiser about why s/he cannot hear MIDI, adding a synth was deemed the
most _reasonable_ reply :(

> Moreover, not producing any sound by default from MIDI data is exactly
> the problem that Rosegarden specifically had to address in the _FAQ_
> (not even actual features). And Qtractor doesn't make it a lot easier
> either.
>
> Don't you see what's wrong with this picture?

yes, using proprietary DAWs dumbs users down.

2c,
robin