[LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Mon Mar 31 16:09:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 5:55 PM, Philipp Überbacher <murks at tuxfamily.org> wrote:
[...]
>> "Someone who makes pleasant sounds in an organized fashion, using
>> basically anything."
>
> Now that's interesting. Why exactly does it need to be pleasant sound,
> and what do you mean by that? Pleasant to whom?

Good point. Some music definitely isn't meant to sound pleasant to
anyone! Many examples of that in movie and video game sound tracks.

> I think my definition would be even more general: "Someone who makes
> sound on purpose."
> Maybe an even more extreme definition is needed: "Someone who makes
> sound."

Well, it depends on the motivation for coming up with a definition in
the first place. It could be as general as "anyone who makes sound,
even accidentally" or as specific as "someone who makes commercially
viable music in the currently most popular genre."

If we try to come up with a definition only for the sake of having a
definition, I'm afraid all we get is infinite recursion. ;-)

--
//David Olofson - Consultant, Developer, Artist, Open Source Advocate

.--- Games, examples, libraries, scripting, sound, music, graphics ---.
|   http://consulting.olofson.net          http://olofsonarcade.com   |