[LAU] Ground lifts, TRS, etc. to PA? USB/other signal crossover to audio?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sun May 11 09:18:24 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-05-09 at 19:14 +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:
> A properly designed 3pin connector ensures the earth is always connected first,
> and disconnected last. It's the *only* safe way to work.

Correct, and btw. the ground cable in the main sockets are always a
little bit longer. However, for e.g. the Brauner VM-1 tube microphone
it's similar done as described here:

http://sound.westhost.com/earth-f4.gif

The microphone is sold to all western nations, used by many experienced
engineers. IIRC we only used a capacitor, however, we bought a capacitor
that is intended for this usage. The switch to chose between a direct
connection and the connection by capacitor was labeled "ground lift".
You might call it hard-grounded and soft-grounded, all terms are
equivocal.