[LAU] Help with configuring a laptop for Linux Audio work

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Mon May 12 08:02:30 UTC 2014

Harry,

"And hyperthreading (usually a bios setting)?"

Will try to turn it off.

"Personal experience with an Acer tm 5720, even setting to powersave
governed makes xruns / fallouts go away."

are you suggesting that at powersave mode things are actually better? Why?
I just tried doing this, xruns continue to be generated.

Lorenzo,

"Did this include turning CPU Scaling off and setting _all cores_ to
"performance"?"

Yep.

"Also switching off (internal) wifi improves the situation here."

How do you switch it off?

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Lorenzo Sutton
<lorenzofsutton at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Louigi,
>

> On 12/05/2014 09:43, Louigi Verona wrote:
>
>> Hey guys!
>>
>> Recently I've bought a Lenovo IdeaPad B590 laptop. As it is announced as
>> an Ubuntu-certified laptop
>>

> [...]
>

>> I am using Xubuntu 12.04 with kernel 3.8 now.
>>

>> 1. All real-time priorities and audio group and such standard stuff set
>> up, checked and rechecked by myself and other people at LAC.
>>

> [...]
>
>  *Problem 1. Xruns.*
>>

>> Even if nothing is done on the computer and/or with audio, xruns are
>> generated. For instance, since I started writing this letter, JACK was
>> on and right now I have an indicator of xruns in qjackctl which says:
>> 7(13). Note, no audio programs are open at all. If I do nothing, just
>> turn on JACK and leave laptop running, xruns are also generated.
>>

> You said you already check "standard stuff".. Did this include turning CPU
> Scaling off and setting _all cores_ to "performance"? In my experience this
> always makes a very big difference in quantity of xruns regardless of the
> sound card. Xubuntu doesn't have anything out of the box for that so you'll
> either have to use cpufrequtils or if intrested I've made a simple
> python-gtk front-end which sits in the tray for managing the task if you're
> interested...
>
> Also switching off (internal) wifi improves the situation here.
>

>> *Problem 2. USB interruptions.*
>>

>> This problem occurs when I am using USB soundcard or USB headset. I get
>> regular audible interruptions of audio signal. It has no bearing on
>> xruns and occurs even outside of JACK, just when I am listening to
>> Audacious, for example. I tried switching from PulseAudio to ALSA, same
>> result. I though do not remember checking this with YouTube videos, for
>> instance, and right now have no usb devices at hand to check.
>>

> I get the same problem with using the zoom H4 as a USB device and up to
> now found no solution. I recently got a zoom R8 and with that the issue
> doesn't seem to be present (although I haven't tested it much as USB
> device...) so I assume it *might* be a device problem.
>
> So.. good luck and do share relevant results, as I think some general
> 'laptop' info might be interesting regardless of brands.
>
> Lorenzo.

Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.ru/