[LAU] turn your tablet into a real physical interface

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Nov 3 00:45:24 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2 Nov 2014, david wrote:

> On 11/02/2014 01:41 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 21:56:58 -1000
>> david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>>> Knobs and sliders that you could stick onto a tablet surface would
>>> make it very easy to arrange your layout the way you wanted, instead
>>> of how the product engineer decided he or she wanted it.
>>
>> So I take my folding rule and my iPad 2 to provide some data.
>>
>> The touch screen is < 20 cm * < 15 cm small. Very unlikely that you
>> will be able to make your wanted layout, more likely you'll try to get
>> something that fits to that small size. There might be larger tablet
>> PCs available, but the issue anyway is the same.
>
> Wacom has a 12" tablet that works with fingers or stylus, available running
> either Android or Windows 8.
>
> I like feeling a real knob or slider, not the flat slick surface of a picture
> of a knob or slider.

I think there is no one here who wants "touch" for controlling audio. We
all want something we can feel that we don't have to watch. Watching while
moving takes more concerntration leaving less for listening, but listening
is more important. Worse (I don't know about others) the concentration
used with a touch pad to make sure my finger is in the right place is
fully on the upper level of my consiousness as opposed to a knob or fader
that becomes an extension of low level muscle control for the most part.

> A number of all-in-one PCs now have large touch screens. Unfortunately, they
> seem to run only Windows.

Any of those I have seen cost enough (1200 CAD or more) I could get two
MIDI controllers and have cash left over. Even many of the customizable
controllers are less by a large margin. A stand-alone large touchscreen
may be cheaper.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net