[LAU] turn your tablet into a real physical interface

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 01:09:01 UTC 2014

On 03/11/14 10:59, david wrote:

> Wacom has a 12" tablet that works with fingers or stylus, available running
> either Android or Windows 8.

on my android, with a wacom screen, the touch is (at least) 10 distinct fingers,
plus the stylus is independent of that and a mouse is too .. the stylus is
compatible with my older fujitsu pen, a full sized one with pressure both ends
and two buttons. So there are lots of interface options ... with the samsung
drivers this is all very smooth ... there are 4 small and 4 big cores so I think
at least one of the small cores runs the input ... it does not lag like some
earlier models did. A debian chroot runs on it, and there is a reasonable
partial implementation of X that runs a display natively, using these inputs, on
it (both work without breaking the samsung lock-down) ... so the tablet world is
getting more flexible and usable for linux users prepared to put a bit of time
into it.

> I like feeling a real knob or slider, not the flat slick surface of a picture of
> a knob or slider.

yes .... my BFC2000 still serves that purpose well, 12 years old now.

Simon