[LAU] SSD(H)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Thu Nov 6 14:34:30 UTC 2014

On Thu, 6 Nov 2014 23:05:19 +1100 (EST)
"Patrick Shirkey" <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
> You can get an external USB 1 TB drive for less than E50
> these days.

Assumed you like to use gvfs or the KDE equivalent that e.g. gets
started, if you launch K3b, then consider not to get a green drive that
fits to the EU Regulation for external drives, or at least don't forget
to unplug the drive as soon as the backup is done. I own a 2 TB WD
Elements and after 30 minutes it automatically spins down, but when I
had gvfs installed, then it immediately spins up again, the same
happens after usage of K3b. Frequently spins down and up shorten the
lifespan. Fortunately I don't use gvfs and I also think it's wise to
disconnect a backup device, when it isn't needed. I guess it's worth to
mention this issue. It's said that some drives even spin down and up
again and again within a few seconds, instead of 30 minutes, as my
drive does. JFTR if you don't want to use gvfs or similar and you don't
want to mount manually (I use scripts to manually mount by label),
there is software than can mount without helpers such as gvfs, e.g.
rodent.