[LAU] encryption and performance penalty

Set Hallström sakrecoer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 12:26:48 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Atte <atte at youmail.dk> wrote:

> Now I'm wondering:
>
> 1) Can anyone share hands-on experience with a particular strategy, why
> did you choose that particular tool, is it easy to setup and work with
> in every-day use?

My laptop is encrypted from top till toe, because i tend to have it with me
everywhere. I encrypted the disk and also the /home. To do this i used the
tools given among the options at installation with ubuntu (in my case its
ubuntustudio, maybe there is a difference in tools IDK) I assume this may
not be the safest way in our galaxy, but then again, my secrets are rather
uninteresting for those who need galaxyproof encryption. I just don't want
anyone to be able to reset my passwords or read my mother and my GF's
love-mails in case i lose my laptop... :)

> 2) Most importantly: How will the various methods affect my systems
> ability to perform under realtime conditions (jack) including
> reading/writing files from a DAW?
>
> NB: I'm running debian stable, if it matters...

I have noticed that upstart is quite slow, but once everything is running,
there might be performance reduction, but it never caused me trouble or
made itself noticeable.

Hope you get more detailed answers! i'm interested in the subject, but like
you i don't "fully understand the technical
workings of the various available tools"....

Good luck!

--
Set Hallström
AKA