[LAU] Buffering, soundcard clocks, synchronization, streaming

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Mon Nov 17 09:37:32 UTC 2014

[Ken Restivo]
>Turns out I've captured in the wild, one guy streaming from
>California (over a WIFI ISP, no less), whose buffer *increases* as
>his show goes along. And a guy in Bulgaria whose buffer also
>increases as his show goes along. So I am no longer inclined to
>believe this has anything to do with network latency or geography.
>
>So far the sound-card-clock-rate theory best fits the data, AFAICT.
>Not sure what to do about it, but I'll look into it.

Have you checked whether the streaming clients make an effort to sync
their output sample rate to the effective stream data rate?  I would
guess they don't.

If that's the case, you could try resampling the output stream to a
very slightly higher rate (but still tell clients you're running at
the original rate) to make sure you outrun more client DAC clocks.

Cheers,
Tim