[LAU] Dual booting Osx / Ubuntu studio on old MacBook 1, 1(2006)...

Sean Bolton sean at smbolton.com
Mon Nov 17 21:29:15 UTC 2014

Hi Russell,

On Mon Nov 17 2014, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> ... With intel core duo (not core 2 duo).
>
> What a bitch! But I've been able to boot kxstudio and Ubuntu studio
> (32bit) versions from live USB. I shrunk the HFS+ partition to make
> room and installed Ubuntu studio to the new ext4 part. Won't install
> the boot loader (coz of EFI)... rEFIt & rEFInd don't seem to be
> getting it done to recognize the images on the ext4 partition.

I just installed Lubuntu 14.04.1 (32 bit) on a MacBook1,1 without any
problems. I had it install grub2 on the linux partition
(e.g. /dev/sda3, not /dev/sda!) and rEFInd picked it up the very next
boot. Unless Ubuntu studio's kernel is built with the EFI stub loader
(in which case you can copy it to the EFI partition and tell rEFInd to
boot it directly), you're going to have to get that boot loader
installed before rEFIt or rEFInd will see your linux install. Good luck!

-Sean