[LAU] No ffmpeg, help convert script for Sox

Rob lau at kudla.org
Tue Nov 18 15:19:08 UTC 2014

On 11/18/2014 04:27 AM, Kazakore wrote:
> Well that was a surprise, to see that ffmpeg has been fully removed from
> Ubuntu now. [...]
> Anyway I have a little script for batch converting flacs to mp3s [...]
> Hopefully you can help me modify
> it to use Sox rather than ffmpeg.

Or you can just add real ffmpeg back in, as many of us have been doing for
about 3 years now. If they've finally removed their fake ffmpeg package,
that will actually make things less complicated (and maybe open the door to
restoring big-boy ffmpeg over the objections of the butthurt avconv
motherforkers).

https://launchpad.net/~jon-severinsson/+archive/ubuntu/ffmpeg

As for making it work without the find command, try something like this:

#!/bin/bash
for d in "$@"; do
if [ -d "$d" ] ; then
  cd "${1}" && for f in *.flac; do ffmpeg -i "$f" -f wav - | lame -b 320 -m
j -q 0 - "${f%.flac}.mp3"; done
elif [ -f "$d" ]; then
  ffmpeg -i "$d" -f wav - | lame -b 320 -m j -q 0 - "${f%.flac}.mp3";
fi
done

Easy enough to put the find command right in the script, too, if you need
to do it recursively.

But what's wrong with encoding to mp3 with ffmpeg directly? Personally, I
just do something like

ffmpeg -i "$1" -b 320 `basename $1 .flac`.mp3

and it rarely fails. (If you've been using avconv pretending to be ffmpeg,
maybe that's why it didn't work to your liking.)

And when I want to copy tags over, I just use flac2mp3:

https://github.com/robinbowes/flac2mp3

Rob