[LAU] Account issues

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Nov 20 14:28:52 UTC 2014

On Thursday 20 November 2014 07:55:56 Ralf Mardorf did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 13:48:53 +0100
>
> Set Hallstrأ¶m <sakrecoer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > A user has got the choice to turn it off or on, to receive mails
> > > sent to a mailman mailing list by her/him.
> >
> > I can't seem to find where to do this setting? Link anyone, please?
>
> Perhaps a misunderstanding? I wasn't talking about gmail, I was talking
> about the mailman feature, that is available if you log in your LAU
> account.

Absolutely zero miss-understanding here. Because this delete duplicates
cannot be turned off, gmail is about as worthless as tits on a boor hog
for mailing list use, precisely because you never get the message back
proving it made the list. So the un-aware keeping pinging the list trying
to get a reply from the list.  Tain't gonna happen and eventuatlly
somebody will point out, in unpleasant language, that yes, we seen all 4
of your messages, but apparently nobody wants to do your homework for you.

I've a gmail account too, don't use it precisely for that reason.  People
suggest you train your email agent to save a copy in the list folder, but
that to me doesn't prove it was actually seen by the list subscribers.
Perhaps it can be so trained.  By I am not enough of a Christian Scientist
to think I could believe with 100% certainty that my mail actually was
seen by the list unless I SEE a reply FROM that list.

Any ISP worth their daily salt, really should have & maintain their own
email server, and I consider that as part and parcel of the monthly fee I
pay for the net access.

Unfortunately for some, their popcorn & peanuts ISP sees that as a huge
headache because of all the UCE, so they, when they get a chance to farm
that whole problem off to google for x bucks a month, they are just
propagating the problem onto their unsuspecting customers.  I bitch
because my own ISP has done that, nearly 2 years ago.  So I don't use that
alias anymore than for personal stuff.  Fortunately for me, I have a
lifetime account at my former employers, who have maintained their own
mail server since 1999 and while doesn't use any such rules.  Not very
well filtered, spamassassin kills 100+ UCE's on an average day and lets
250 more pass.  But they get fed to sa-learn by a cron script, so
spamassassin is gradually getting smarter.

Moral of the story IS:
Don't use gmail for a mailing list.  Period.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)