[LAU] jack and the merging of soundcards

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 10:14:10 UTC 2014

On 21/11/14 20:57, Ede Wolf wrote:

>> The only remaining effect would
>> be a somewhat higher latency for the second card
>
> Which actually even _does_ make it second best? Nevertheless I do believe you,
> that this may be negligible, however, being honest, "It is harder to crack
> prejudice than an atom." (tm) That just holds true for me in this regard, I am
> afraid.

merging sound cards means either you can run both off the same clock, or one is
being re-sampled. Some soundcards can run using external clocks ... so with
appropriate cabling or settings very specific to your setup it is possible to
avoid resampling ... but most merging-into-one will involve resampling, with or
without advertising that this is the case, because it works well.

Simon