[LAU] questions about resampling - was - jack and the merging of soundcards

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Nov 22 04:11:29 UTC 2014

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 06:17:43AM -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
>
>> One more... if a group of inputs that start synced are resampled, do
>> they have a better post resample channel to channel sync that
>> accross two intefaces with different sample rates before resampling?
>> (this is sort of what the above questions are getting at though
>> there amy be other issues as well)
>
> I don't understand the question... could you rephrase it ?

You answered it when you answered the other questions. Basically, It
appears there are still some artifacts between devices if they are not
sample synced at the codec. While not enough to hear alone, perhaps enough
to hear as part of a stereo pair. This seems to agree with some of the
multicast papers that suggest sending only a unified group of channels
(stereo or suround) in one stream.

So I was asking if the audio phase/sync would be preserved if a stereo
pair was split across two devices, one out of sync with the other and
resampling being used to sync the two together. It appears from your other
answers, that there may be noticable artifacts.

My initial thoughts on resampled audio were that it would be fine for
audio coming from another room, but not for use in the same studio.
However it appears resampling can work just fine for most things provided
a single device is used for any one instrument (a drum set for example).

I am wondering if I have the ears/mics/sound reproduction equipment to
hear the difference. I will have to experiment once I get my studio set up
again.

Thank you for your answers.

--
Len Ovens