[LAU] Piano Zero

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sun Nov 23 13:52:29 UTC 2014

On 11/19/2014 01:01 PM, Ken Restivo wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 07:35:36AM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Variations for solo sequenced piano :
>>
>>      https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/piano-zero
>>
>> A better-sounding FLAC-encoded version is also available :
>>
>>      http://linux-sound.org/audio/PianoZero.flac

> This is a great peice!

Thank you !

> If you're looking for comments, I'd say use a better piano sample, something that sounds more like a real piano and less like a digital sample. And with good stereo panning. Also place it in a  room instead of a digital reverb, maybe in a convolution of a concert hall (I like the Pori samples). And I also think it'd be improved a lot by adding velocity! Dynamics. Nothing sounds more like digital sampling than all the notes at constant velocity. It's also wearying to listen to without dynNAMics, knowwhatI'msayin?

Yep, that's the critique I've heard most, that the piece is okay but the
sound really needs improvement. Time to find my Pianoteq plugin. :)

Velocities are there - somewhat - and more prominently in some places
than in others. Obviously I didn't take the time to polish each section,
and I agree, the lack of more subtle dynamic contrasts tires the ear.

> With that, I think it'd sound like an actual performance.

The next release will have improved sound quality. I'll experiment with
some different sample sets, and I'm open to suggestions re: preferred
piano sets. I'll look for those Pori samples you mentioned too.

Thanks again, Ken !

Best,

dp