[LAU] AV i/o hardware

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 01:09:18 UTC 2014

On 24/11/14 21:25, Kaza Kore wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 14:36:17 +1100
>> From: simonzwise at gmail.com

>> skills to do so. But their main customers have real budgets to, the gear is
>> expensive, but these two could be useful if you have the cash:

> I would class these in the prosumer range. Really not expensive at all when
> it comes to professonal video hardware!! Trust me on that one!

"Expensive" was referring to their range (which probably include the same chips
etc) in the context of the DIY approach we are talking about here. While as I
also said gear like a serious vision mixer is much much cheaper than a few years
ago ... considering what can be done with a camera, a computer and some
software, that is still a lot more than you need to spend if you have time and
skills but very little budget. Either buying commercial software, learning the
higher end open source stuff like blender, or creating your own custom solutions
... these capture cards could be the I/O for that.

My point was they are part of a range which sells for much more and so there is
cash, knowledge and motivation to maintain their drivers, and that that
combination has been very useful to me in the past

Simon