[LAU] AV i/o hardware

Kazakore dj_kaza at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 25 13:05:16 UTC 2014

On 25/11/14 20:37, Simon Wise wrote:
> On 25/11/14 16:46, Len Ovens wrote:
>

>> We had basically two hard switchers that each had one push button for
>> each
>>
>> source available in the station. At the right side was a T handle
>> fader that
>>
>> faded from one switch output to the other. That fade could be verying
>> amounts of
>>
>> each signal (fade to black or whatever) or could be a wipe (a moving
>>
>> pre-selected shaped key) or a chromakey (what it was called then).
>> What I have
>>
>> seen in live stream SW has the switcher part, but not the fade or
>> keying except
>>
>> being able to key in a box in a set place on the screen. The idea of
>> a wipe,
>>
>> even timed so a physical fader is not needed, is not there. Maybe
>> someone can
>>
>> suggest SW that has some of these things, but the only solution I saw
>> was with
>>
>> HW. What SW does have, is the ability to sync unrelated video streams
>> at the
>>
>> cost of added latency. We used to call it a frame storer.
>>

> "Pd with GEM via v4l did all the
> openGL mixing"

Was going to mention Pd and GEM. Very surprised there is no mix or wipes
on the software you're using. Pretty easy to program!

> A need for live keying, wipes and alpha overlays over several camera
> sources ...
> and nowhere near enough money to buy a big enough vision mixer ... was
> the
> motivation for a Linux based software vision mixer I put together in
> 2006. It
> can all be done with several FLOSS solutions.

So did you ever release this solution you made to the public? ;-)

As I've mentioned before, for the more budget oriented (who are unlikely
to have cameras with full (HD)SDI output for use with a Blackmagic card
anyway!) there are the Happauge capture cards, which always had some
amount of Linux support and can generally be picked up for very little.

Dale.