[LAU] Lossy audio to lossless format

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed Oct 1 09:12:04 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-01 at 10:54 +0200, Egor Sanin wrote:
> I get the feeling at times, when getting music
> from torrents and such, that not all files
> claiming to be flac are actually lossless.
> It seems that sometimes folks will take an
> mp3, reencode it in flac and distribute the
> result.

How do you get the impression? You are aware that a lot of music is
remastered and that remastered usually doesn't mean that the sound
quality is improved, but that the dynamic range is killed. But indeed,
when I asked a friend to burn me a CD I lost, he didn't burn original
wav files, he used lowest quality mp3s (not even "high quality" mp3s)
and converted them to wav.