[LAU] Lossy audio to lossless format

Egor Sanin egor.sanin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 09:58:55 UTC 2014

On 10/1/14, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> "Intuition" that something goes wrong, is something
> I can understand, but what does cause the common bad sound quality is
> quasi impossible to say, we just can imagine.

Please see post above.  I'm not talking about "common bad sound
quality".  I'm talking about a very specific situation:

Low quality mp3 is re-encoded into flac.  I download the flac with no
knowledge about the source file.  Is it possible to analyse the flac
using a tool and tools available as open source software, and
determine with a high level of confidence that the flac is a
rerencoding of an mp3 file?

The software spek was mentioned, wich is a spectral analysis and
visualization software.  I will try it by recreating the situtation I
just described using my own recordings.  I will report results.

Unless this has already been done by someone, in which case I'm
curious to know what was discovered.