[LAU] Lossy audio to lossless format

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Oct 2 02:52:04 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 01 October 2014 09:14:22 Paul Davis did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 7:27 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Your ears are probably the best tool. Some hear well, and some do
> > not. I am amazed at the number of people who cannot tell if mp3 has
> > ever been in the mix. To me its obvious, when your ears get tired of
> > it, and want to "change the station" in just a minute or so, its
> > been an mp3 at some point.
>
> For crying out loud, stop this nonsense!
>
> It is established without any shadow of a doubt that the overwhelming
> majority of the population CANNOT tell the difference between a
> reasonable bit-rate encoding in mp3 format and the original PCM data.
> This isn't up for debate.
>
> Reasonable bit-rate means 256kbps; by the time you reach 320kbps even
> expert listeners have a very very hard time differentiating the mp3
> from the PCM in an ABX test.

256 kilobit mp3?  I don't know if I have one that is so little compressed.
The most I've picked up here & there was 96 and below, usually with an un-
known history. Even 128kbit mp3 can be detected in a few seconds.  Here I
have done a/b testing against some well produced cd's I've ripped, and
with ogg running at Q7, which gives a filesize similar to an mp3 at 128kb,
and cannot tell the difference.  Back these ears up 55 years to before I
started wearing out rifle barrels, and I expect they might detect the
diff.

> By all means talk about low bit rate encodings and how they are no
> good, but please folks - double blind testing doesn't lie, and the
> double blind tests are close to unambiguous at this point.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)