[LAU] A linux-based FM radio station

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Tue Oct 7 08:12:46 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 05, 2014 at 07:39:21PM +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 13:48:49 -0700
> Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm happy to report that as of this morning, 100-Watt KNYO-FM in Fort Bragg California (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KNYO-LP) is running on Linux, Linux Audio and Free Software.
> >
> > (Well, then again, I can't speak for their website; I didn't set that up, and it looks like an F5 box, dunno what they run. But the actual streaming and broadcast radio signal chain up to the transmitter is Linux.)
> >
> > The FM transmitter is in a remote location getting its audio program from a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian connected via DSL to a Linode running Airtime and Icecast2 for station automation and streaming. The studio machine is a Linux Mint XFCE box running The BUTT connected via DSL to the Linode and Airtime. I've done a few Liquidsoap customizations to Airtime to fill in missing features (AutoDJ, saving incoming streams, etc) and will be doing more, possibly contributing them upstream if I can keep them clean and general enough.
> >
> > -ken
>
> Pleased to hear it. Erm, but then again I'm not likely to actually hear the
> station in the UK :)

Well it being a 100Watt station in a rural area, it's not likely anyone at all will be able to hear it.

But they do stream live on the internet: http://airtime.knyo.org:8040/128.m3u , and their calendar is here:
http://knyo.org/current-schedule.html  They've got some interesting local content on Friday nights (PST8PDT) and Sunday mornings and afternoons.

-ken