[LAU] zitaretuner

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Fri Oct 10 21:55:30 UTC 2014

> From: Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org>

> Hello all,
>
> Today I got an email of a user asking me to help him make a plugin
> called 'zitaretuner' work. I never wrote such a plugin...
> ... And whoever did it doesn't even have the courage to
> identify him/herself.
>
> I've complained about this sort of thing before, and this time
> I'm really pissed. So let one thing be clear: I will never again
> release any code under a license that allows this sort of thing
> to happen.

Doesn't the GPL v2 already prevent this sort of thing for anyone who
adheres to the license terms?

 2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of
it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute
such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided
that you also meet all of these conditions:

    a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

It seems the only way to prevent that kind of abuse is to not release the
code at all.  That would be a very sad outcome for Linux audio users.

--
Chris Caudle