[LAU] Small instrument hardware module

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Oct 21 20:29:53 UTC 2014

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> On Tue, October 21, 2014 8:48 pm, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>>
>> Nice devices but are they fanless?
>
> No, but they are very quiet.

Cooling solutions can always be changed out to something fanless. The Atom
board that I have, is fanless and the laptop harddrive I have put with it
is also very quiet. This is as used for a desktop. As stage box I would
use SSD as there is a socket on board for the mini version. If I was using
it as a stage box, I might put an older (pre-AC97) sound card on a
90degree adaptor for audio/MIDI as the PCIaudio card I have seems to do
-p32 -n2 quite well and having internal MIDI (well, through a game port)
is a bit more solid than USB. (if the keyboard is USB already this is no
use)

>> They also seem to be fairly big, I
>> guess a Cubieboard is 4x as small as a NUC board. But I haven't really
>> compared the measurements yet so I could be wrong.
>>

> This particular model has a slightly larger case. The other models are not
> as tall. The physical size is approx 10x10x4cm so they are very portable
> and the solid aluminium casing is very robust.

How small should they be? In the end one wants to put robust connectors on
it anyway. Robust connectors are in general, big. I can understand wanting
to be able to carry ones kit all in one go, but if a box is 2x2x1 inch, or
6x6x1.5 inch doesn't affect that really. Something that can survive being
trod on is more important.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net