[LAU] kernel rt-patches future

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed Oct 22 09:21:07 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-22 at 10:32 +0200, Joakim Hernberg wrote:
> Provided that all the hardware plays ball (which most does)

It's easy to get issues caused by the hardware :(. I cared about getting
hardware that should play ball, my RME card doesn't work ok. Already
many years ago I experienced issues with hardware that isn't related to
audio. I e.g. got a 56k modem praised as working with Linux and indeed
most revisions of the modem did, but even the vendor forgot to mention,
that just one of several revisions doesn't and I exactly got this
revision. Most of the times I had good luck and send back the hardware
and got my money back, but for e.g. the RME card I didn't test it
extensive within the time, when it was possible to get the money back.
Hardware combinations come with a lot of pitfalls. Your hardware might
be ok now, but if you need to replace something, the trouble could
start. However, I experienced the RT patches most of the times as the
best solution for audio and MIDI, but until now, the last patch after
the 3.8.13-rt patches, the only working patch is 3.10.47-rt50, all other
newer patches already lock my machine at startup.