[LAU] turn your tablet into a real physical interface

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Oct 31 08:07:10 UTC 2014

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 19:09:52 -1000
david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

> saw this design and first thing I thought of was using it to make
> music.
>
> http://www.wired.com/2014/10/sliders-knobs-dials-give-tablet-physical-interface/

Hi David,

when I saw the picture my first thought was, what I read a few seconds
later, "... For a recent school project, Born created ...". IMO you
already can see a weak point:
http://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/15569276661_cc53db71e7_k.jpg

I don't think that for audio engineering this idea will provide an
improvement to using the fingers for an iPad remote control instead.
Tablet PC touch screen remote controls have drawbacks, but without such
sliders, buttons and knobs, they can be used as a very variable remote
control, providing lots of good visual advantages. The visual variable
advantages get lost by this aluminium thingy instead of the fingers. It
looks like something unflexible, compressed that unlikely will provide
a good touch. It might be a helpful halfway house for blind people
using a tablet PC with touch screen, but blind people perhaps should
use other devices, than a tablet PC with this thingy.

My impression could be wrong, it's worse to test it, if you can test it
for free, but I wouldn't pay for it or waste time for DIY.

2 Cents,
Ralf