[LAU] [OT]: Re: turn your tablet into a real physical interface

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 13:50:33 UTC 2014

On 31/10/2014 06:09, david wrote:
> saw this design and first thing I thought of was using it to make music.
>
> http://www.wired.com/2014/10/sliders-knobs-dials-give-tablet-physical-interface/

I think the pros and conts of user interaction with touch screens have
been extensively studied and are widely available online (just google
for it).
Regarding controllers the only advantage of using e.g. tablets for
music-related stuff is the fact they are wireless (and in some case they
may serve as performative elements because they are perceived as 'cool'
by the audience..)

I found a post by Bret Victor [1] particularly interesting and
thought-provoking (linked by alex from the eightycolumn mailing list [2]).

Lorenzo.

[1] http://worrydream.com/ABriefRantOnTheFutureOfInteractionDesign/
[2] https://multiplace.sk/pipermail/eightycolumn/2014-April/000880.html