[LAU] multichannel interface recommendations?

Jeff Sandys jpsandys at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 18:46:57 UTC 2015

> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:39:01 -0600
> From: Studio Channing <studiochanning at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [LAU] multichannel interface recommendations?
>
> we are searching for a new audio interface for a project studio and
> interested in the experiences others have had
>
> requirements are:
> * 8 (or more) channels simultaneous recording to computer
> * at least 4 preamps for mic level inputs
> * USB2 preferable to Fireware, but..
> * 100% linux compatible, ideally with a stock kernel
> * under $500 USD if possible
>
> less important is real-time monitoring functionality - this will mostly
> be used for bands playing live
> anybody have any recommendations

I have been looking for a similar device, 4 mic inputs to record a string
quartet, and bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8.  I haven't used it for
recording yet but I did plug it into my Fedora 21 mini computer, started
qjackctl and all the inputs and outputs were exposed.  It has 4 front panel
mic inputs, 2 can be switched* to line, 48v phantom on each pair, 4 TRS
balanced inputs in the back, S/PDIF in and out, and ADAT optical in for an
additional 8 channels in, 2 balanced channels out on the back with 2 stereo
(headphone) outs on the front, plus midi in and out.  It lists at $400 at
several online retailers, I bought mine used on ebay.

There is an windows and mac mixer app, and you need to use the app to
switch the two channels from mic/line to instrument and change other
configurations.  Focusrite states that they don't guarantee Linux
compatibility but they have published enough interface information that at
least two programmers have created Scarlett Mixer python apps on Github,
one is by Linux audio guru Robin Gareus.  With the program you can assign
the headphone output as zero latency input monitoring or as output from
your computer.

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i8
https://github.com/x42/scarlettmixer
https://github.com/trrichard/ScarlettMixer

It seems to have solid stage worthy construction and a power supply with
US, UK and Euro plugs.

-- Jeff Sandys