[LAU] multichannel interface recommendations?

Studio Channing studiochanning at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 2 15:34:23 UTC 2015

On 04/01/2015 12:46 PM, Jeff Sandys wrote:

>     Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:39:01 -0600
>     From: Studio Channing <studiochanning at yahoo.com
>     <mailto:studiochanning at yahoo.com>>
>     Subject: [LAU] multichannel interface recommendations?
>     <mailto:551ABF95.2040606 at yahoo.com>>
>
>     we are searching for a new audio interface for a project studio and
>     interested in the experiences others have had
>
>     requirements are:
>     * 8 (or more) channels simultaneous recording to computer
>     * at least 4 preamps for mic level inputs
>     * USB2 preferable to Fireware, but..
>     * 100% linux compatible, ideally with a stock kernel
>     * under $500 USD if possible
>
>     less important is real-time monitoring functionality - this will
>     mostly
>     be used for bands playing live
>     anybody have any recommendations
>

> I have been looking for a similar device, 4 mic inputs to record a
> string quartet, and bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8.  I haven't used
> it for recording yet but I did plug it into my Fedora 21 mini
> computer, started qjackctl and all the inputs and outputs were
> exposed.  It has 4 front panel mic inputs, 2 can be switched* to line,
> 48v phantom on each pair, 4 TRS balanced inputs in the back, S/PDIF in
> and out, and ADAT optical in for an additional 8 channels in, 2
> balanced channels out on the back with 2 stereo (headphone) outs on
> the front, plus midi in and out.  It lists at $400 at several online
> retailers, I bought mine used on ebay.
>
> There is an windows and mac mixer app, and you need to use the app to
> switch the two channels from mic/line to instrument and change other
> configurations.  Focusrite states that they don't guarantee Linux
> compatibility but they have published enough interface information
> that at least two programmers have created Scarlett Mixer python apps
> on Github, one is by Linux audio guru Robin Gareus. With the program
> you can assign the headphone output as zero latency input monitoring
> or as output from your computer.
>
> http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i8
> https://github.com/x42/scarlettmixer
> https://github.com/trrichard/ScarlettMixer
>
> It seems to have solid stage worthy construction and a power supply
> with US, UK and Euro plugs.
>
> -- Jeff Sandys

Thank you! We were unaware of the hardware support and scarlettmixer, at
one point a couple of years ago there was a smaller Focusrite USB here
and that did not work under Linux - it was probably the Saffire 6 and it
seems that has now changed too:

http://www.digitalstroopwafel.com/?p=141

https://focusritedevelopmentteam.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/linux-and-focusrite-novation-products/

So we are seeing USB support for multiple Focusrite devices, nice.

Between Focusrite and Presonus it looks like we have several decent
options in our price range.