[LAU] OM6.9 on Arch

Daniel Appelt daniel.appelt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 00:13:03 UTC 2015

I am sorry to come back only now to this old thread. After my last comment,
I did some further investigations to get to the root of the problem on my
system. In the end, neither libtiff nor gdk-pixbuf2 can be blamed.
It seems to be a "packaging problem" specific to Arch's multilib setup. To
make a long story short, I have filed a bug report:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/44474

For me, the bottom line is:

- Arch multilib is not perfect. You might have to patch packages that are
working perfectly on i686 or x86_64 in native mode. A 32bit chroot could be
an alternative approach, but I have never tried it myself.
- Having a 32bit only app is not preferable as it might mean lots of extra
work to make it run in multilib mode on x86_64.
- Using TIFF images or relying on libtiff in this case is not preferable as
the library's standard includes are architecture specific.

Cheers, Daniel