[LAU] running jackd from rc.local

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Apr 18 15:01:04 UTC 2015

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015, Athanasios Silis wrote:

> Hi Len,
> unfortunately the .desktop file is not good for me.
> it is only run after I have logged in, whereas I want my script to be started as
> me, but before I log in.
> Is there a way to achieve that, without resorting to autologin ?

OK, perhaps a full description of what you are trying to acheive would
help. little bits of info I think I have put together include:
  - You will be using a DE at some point.
  - You want to be able to access jack after logging in as well as before
  - jack is still to be used only by one user
  - jack2 is prefered?
  - what would jack be doing while logged out I don't know
  - should jack continue to run after logout?
 	(that is do you normally logout and in)
  - Is most of the running done by script anyway and loggin in is used
mostly for other things besides audio? Can all audio stuff be done by
command line?
  - will jack be used as a device for pulseaudio...
  - will pulse run at all? if so will it ever touch the same device as jack
has?
  - is your machine using sysv init, systemd, upstart? (upstart is going
away BTW, leaving one to wonder about the future of MIR)

As Jeremy has already suggested have you tried:

export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
jack_control start

in the script run by your su user?

--
Len Ovens