[LAU] JACK hangs on openSUSE Tumbleweed

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Apr 18 18:33:11 UTC 2015

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 19:39:53 +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>The problem started at the same time kernel 3.19.3 came out for
>Tumbleweed, but downgrading to older kernels in the 3.19 series or as
>far back as 3.17 doesn't restore jack functionality. So it must be
>something in userspace.

Hi Jörn,

there definitively also is an issue with this kernel.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ uname -rm
3.19.3-3-ARCH x86_64
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ aconnect -i
client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ amidi -l
Dir Device    Name
IO  hw:0,0    HDSPMx579bcc MIDI 1
IO  hw:1,0    TerraTec EWX24/96 MIDI
IO  hw:2,0    TerraTec EWX24/96 MIDI

I only use linux-rt, but an user of this kernel noticed it and started a
thread here:
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-April/038789.html

There isn't such an issue with

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Q linux-rt linux-rt-lts
linux-rt 3.18.9_rt5-2
linux-rt-lts 3.10.61_rt65-1

on my machine. Using those kernels, aconnect shows all devices listed
by amidi.

It might be unrelated to this particular jack issue, however, it's
worth mentioning it.

Regards,
Ralf