[LAU] Music made with linux: a773/attention span

Dale Kazakore Powell dj_kaza at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 28 06:22:26 UTC 2015

On 27/04/15 12:19, Atte wrote:
> On 04/26/2015 03:13 AM, Dale Kazakore Powell wrote:
>
>> Been loving all the music you've been posting lately Atte.
> Thanks!
>
>> Not managed
>> to listen to this one yet, internet connection in this village is
>> terrible! But I second the post above, what are you using now? I
>> remember some good number of months ago you posting about not liking the
>> changes that came with Renoise 3.0, which has been my DAW for years
>> (although I've not written anything for at least a couple now and not
>> even downloaded 3.0) so I would like to know if you found something new
>> that agrees with you or if you ended up returning to the bosom of rns?
> I weighed my options, and decided Renoise still does certain stuff (like
> this) the best. So I decided to use it for what it's good at and write
> the tools for the things I miss in my workflow. For more traditional
> recording I use reaper, which for the most parts work really well.

Cool, fair enough. I really should pull my finger out and see if I can
find my mojo again! Will probably start back with Renoise if I do but
have always wanted to shape things towards a live set (laptop &
controller based) and Renoise was never quite the right tool for that.
Although with Duplex in 2.8 there were some tools that were going that
way but I have no idea is 3.0 ha expanded on this or moved away...

What tools have you been writing yourself? Standalone bits of with the
Renoise API?

Listened to the track now and afraid I have to be honest and say it's
one of my least favourite of yours lately. I like the drums, the bass
works nicely, even the cheap sounding e-piano fits in there. But
personally I couldn't overly get on with the almost lead/chip noise (or
however you would describe it) and it's too central to the tune to be
able to ignore that element. But that's just one person's personal
preference and I still liked most of the elements of the track.

Thanks for your latest reply describing your beat creating process. :)

Dale.