[LAU] Jack max ports question

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Aug 1 17:35:55 UTC 2015

On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 09:10:13 -0700 (PDT), Len Ovens wrote:
>Most people
>
>Many people

Could you please provide a few links with all those "most and many
people"?

I can't see that much qjackctl and/or jackd related requests that are
could be avoided by splitting the settings window of qjackctl, neither
on Linux audio user, Arch Audio, Jack, Ardour, Qtractor, Ubuntu
Studio users and a few other audio related Linux mailing lists, nor on
general Linux mailing lists.

On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 16:35:58 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>On Sat, Aug 01, 2015 at 09:10:13AM -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
>
>> Many people already have trouble realizing that after opening
>> qjackctl and setting it up they also have to start jack.
>
>Really ? With Qjackctl showing a blank display and a 'Start'
>button in the upper left corner ? What sort of brain damage
>is required for this situation to persist for longer than
>a few seconds ?

No need to be that harsh.

This could happen without a brain damage and depends to the individual
basic attitude of a human. Psychology claims that if a women and a men
take a look into the same refrigerator, women see food, that men don't
see.

However, assumed somebody should miss the start button, a request to a
mailing list or forum likely would once for all resolve the faux pas.

I would like to see three or four links to such a request ;). I doubt
that it happens very often that somebody is missing the button.

>> Many ask a question on IRC and are gone in 60 seconds
>> if no one answers, even with text when they join the
>> channel that says wait.
>
>Seems like an attitude problem. One which will affect
>every aspect of their lives if it's real.
>
>> The Linux is no good comments from people are mostly
>> for this reason.
>
>Reason enough to ignore them.

Here I agree with Fons. If 60 seconds are too much, those people
unlikely need jackd. IIRC jackd is intended for audio production. For
audio productions, music, speech, what ever, a little bit of time is
needed.

Yesterday I saw somebody driving a car in the wrong direction through a
one-way street, while watching a display and typing on a smart phone.

People who have not enough time for a learning curve or for driving a
car, because they need all their time for more important things,
for tweets and other rocket science, can't expect that all tools will be
redesigned to fit too 59 seconds learning curves. For some people even
a driver's license revocation would be the best that could be done.