[LAU] Jack max ports question

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Aug 2 09:23:14 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 01, 2015 at 08:48:20PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> And even when they click it, they find that JACK is running on their
> builtin hardware when they wanted it to use some USB device they have.
> Then they can't figure out how to change it.

With a GUI in front of them inviting them to change it.

> the number of people who do not even realize that you need to tell
> JACK which device to use is quite startling.

With two or more sound cards, someone or something has to make
a choice. That's not really rocket science.

> You're way, way, way too much of an expert with computers Fons. There
> are lots and lots of musicians for whom things you consider utterly
> obvious and child-like are really quite difficult concepts.

I don't think this is about computers.

If someone really can't work out such simple things then he/she will
be unable to do any job except maybe emptying trash cans, will fail
the driving license examination, will happily pay $50 for three items
that each cost $10, and will in general be unable to function in live
as we know it. Let alone being creative. I don't believe most people
are like that, and if sometimes they behave that way, it is by choice.

And if this choice is as widespread as claimed, then what we have is
a new class society. This time not the classical one of a the poor
masses being exploited by a rich elite and a political system that
maintains this order, but of the dumb masses simply *expecting* a
more intelligent elite to take all, even the simplest decisions for
them. It amounts to a voluntary rejection of part of what makes anyone
a human being, and a lack of self-respect. All this in what remains
despite the economic crisis an affluent part of the world, and where
access to education, knowledge and information has never been easier.
Like it ? I don't. And I'm not going to contribute anything that makes
it worse.

> they have no idea what's inside.

(without looking) 2 apples, a box of peaches (at least 5 remaining),
2 sorts of fruit juice, 3 tomatos, 1 cucumber, 1 onion, gorgonzola
and feta cheese, parma ham, salad dressing, 3 packages of greek
yogurt, 2 packages of vanilla flavoured soya dessert, bread.

(so you may conclude that even when living among large quantities
of Wurst my diet remains more or less mediterranean).

Ciao,

--
FA