[LAU] Music made with Linux - Second & First

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Aug 5 18:55:00 UTC 2015

On Wed, 5 Aug 2015, F. Silvain wrote:

> Hey hey everyone,
> I'd like to announce this new track. Composed and recorded by J.P.C. with
> guitars by J. Bausch. Mixing and mastering by me. I believe this was fully
> made in Linux using Nama from start to finish. Including a host of plugins
> and soft- and hardware instruments.
> http://freeshell.de/~silvain/audio/second_and_first.ogg
>
> I'd appreciate feedback, if you have it. :)

Before I say anything, I play music, but am in no way a music scholar or
producer. So I am giving my impressions from that point of view.

To me this is an album of music rather than a track. There are pronounced
changes from one part to the next and as such some that I liked better
than others. If I was going to keep this for personal listening I would
probably just use the parts I like :)

My first impression is that the mixdown seems to do well at allowing me to
hear everything. So even if the lead line may seem low to me sometimes, it
still works well because I can still hear it and follow with no effort.
(maybe some of the guitar is bit low.. but I tend to mix it too hot)

I liked the choice of sounds used over all too. I like the clav sound BTW.

The mastering is fine to me, but there are others on this list with a
better ear. I enjoy the dynamic space.

Are the drums recorded or sequenced? (live or samples)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net