[LAU] taking the hint lol, remains keyboard ideas anyone?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Aug 31 20:36:51 UTC 2015

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015, Karen Lewellen wrote:

> I admit to being more concerned about the ability to interface and produce
> what I desire musically then how it feels to play. I can say with 99.9%
> firmness though that I do not want to use my computer keyboard for this
> however!

:)  I figured that, but wanted to give an idea of the whole range of
options.

> I  started with acoustic pianos, so yes I like weighted keys, and yes I would
> love an 88 key option.  I will consider smaller though if for no other reason
> than the space.

As you may have figured from some of the responses, most of "use what we
brung". That is whatever is sitting around gets used. MIDI has been around
since forever and there are very few keyboards that will not work for you.
There are even a lot of toy keyboards that have MIDI out. For example, I
have a Yamaha PSS-480 with 3/4 sized keys that has MIDI in and out and
could be used for keyboard input (4 octaves and 26 inches long). It does
not have any weighting, but for note by note recording that probably does
not matter. Just look at what keyboard you like and can use/afford and
look for that 5 pin din on the back. If you are buying used, I would test
to make sure it works. New stuff can generally be returned if tested and
taken back promptly. Any store with more than one keyboard means you can
take MIDI out from one and should get sound on the other.

I don't think we can give anything more at this point. Really you will
have to look and try for yourself.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net