[LAU] Yoshimi - Random Detune

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Wed Dec 2 23:09:50 UTC 2015

A setting for this has been in the part edit window for quite a long time. There
are 20 steps of approximately half a cent. This is applied as a pitch variation
to the note-on event, so is per note and also per part (but the whole part not
just one engine).

It was intended to simulate to effect of fretless instruments, or fretted ones
that are weight or bend sensitive, where tiny variations in normal playing
would result in such pitch 'inaccuracies'. It also works quite well on flute
and whistle sounds. I've used it a few times myself and values of 2-3 seem best.

I'm wondering what use (if any) others have made of it, or even if anyone has
recognised what it does!

Currently this setting isn't saved. It's still classed as an experimental
feature. Also, if we keep it and want to save it, should it be an individual
instrument parameter or applied for that part in a complete patch set?

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk