[LAU] New song: Yassin Philip | Carrier Phone

Yassin Philip xaccrocheur at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 19:57:24 UTC 2015

Hi, Happy Listers!

My new song "Carrier Phone <https://youtu.be/yu3eTXVvepo>" is fresh out,
live now at https://youtu.be/yu3eTXVvepo and even buyable at
http://manyrecords.com?album=21&song=1 :)

It's been a wild ride. Working with QMidiArp (LV2 plugin version) can
get a bit hard on the nerves ;) there is definitely /something/ inside.

On the news front

  * There is only *11 tracks*, of witch 3 are just for drums ;
  * My old AKG d125 mic (listed as "vintage" on the internets!) has
    replaced the "Studio Project B1" Chinese Neumann copy that I've used
    a lot last year, and that I can't even hear anymore (hiss!) Stay
    away from those ;
  * The drums are /actually played/ on my Toy MIDI DrumKit
    <http://linuxfr.org/users/philippemc/journaux/jouer-de-la-musique-avec-des-jouets-rockband-drums>
    but yeah, heavily MIDI-edited afterward ;
  * The big (250Mg) Fluid GM2 soundfont that is available all through
    debian sound really good, if you don't use it yet, try it ;
  * I used a new toy: VEX <http://www.anticore.org/jucetice/?page_id=8>
    a 3 oscillator "subtractive waveROM synth" that is very stable and
    exposes everything to automation ;
  * There is a "remix" of that song coming soon. Well, a litteral fork
    of the session ;
  * QTractor is getting better and better. This new "direct access"
    mixer strip feature allows for a more natural workflow, the name of
    the game being "never open a plugin GUI" :)

It is mixed down through Jamin, with the basic default preset. I'm not
/entirely/ satisfied with the mix/master, I think it lacks the oomph of
my last song "Off the Grid <https://youtu.be/Q4B0_38bICo>". I hate that
accidental part of the mixing process, and the heterogeneous feel it
gives to the album. Otoh, certain cult albums of mine do sound like many
sessions put together: XTC's "Skylarking", Magazine's "Secondhand
daylight" or Alain Bashung's "Play Blessures"... Oh well.

As always, thanks a lot for your critical listening :)

Phil