[LAU] New song: Yassin Philip | Carrier Phone

Glen MacArthur info at bandshed.net
Mon Dec 7 22:57:36 UTC 2015

Yassin Philip wrote:
> Hi, Happy Listers!
>
> My new song "Carrier Phone <https://youtu.be/yu3eTXVvepo>" is fresh out,
> live now at https://youtu.be/yu3eTXVvepo and even buyable at
> http://manyrecords.com?album=21&song=1 :)
>
> It's been a wild ride. Working with QMidiArp (LV2 plugin version) can
> get a bit hard on the nerves ;) there is definitely /something/ inside.
>
> On the news front
>
>   * There is only *11 tracks*, of witch 3 are just for drums ;
>   * My old AKG d125 mic (listed as "vintage" on the internets!) has
>     replaced the "Studio Project B1" Chinese Neumann copy that I've used
>     a lot last year, and that I can't even hear anymore (hiss!) Stay
>     away from those ;
>   * The drums are /actually played/ on my Toy MIDI DrumKit
>     <http://linuxfr.org/users/philippemc/journaux/jouer-de-la-musique-avec-des-jouets-rockband-drums>
>     but yeah, heavily MIDI-edited afterward ;
>   * The big (250Mg) Fluid GM2 soundfont that is available all through
>     debian sound really good, if you don't use it yet, try it ;
>   * I used a new toy: VEX <http://www.anticore.org/jucetice/?page_id=8>
>     a 3 oscillator "subtractive waveROM synth" that is very stable and
>     exposes everything to automation ;
>   * There is a "remix" of that song coming soon. Well, a litteral fork
>     of the session ;
>   * QTractor is getting better and better. This new "direct access"
>     mixer strip feature allows for a more natural workflow, the name of
>     the game being "never open a plugin GUI" :)
>
> It is mixed down through Jamin, with the basic default preset. I'm not
> /entirely/ satisfied with the mix/master, I think it lacks the oomph of
> my last song "Off the Grid <https://youtu.be/Q4B0_38bICo>". I hate that
> accidental part of the mixing process, and the heterogeneous feel it
> gives to the album. Otoh, certain cult albums of mine do sound like many
> sessions put together: XTC's "Skylarking", Magazine's "Secondhand
> daylight" or Alain Bashung's "Play Blessures"... Oh well.
>
> As always, thanks a lot for your critical listening :)
>
> Phil

Hi!

Thanks for sharing the details of your production ;)

Great production! Nice arrangement, good sounds and good vocals, Nice to
see Qtractor mentioned and used to such great potential. If I were to
offer any opinion I'd like a little more crispness and presence on the
vocal and the snare drum. I realize electronic music is all about that big
electronic snare sound and I do like where it sits in the mix I'd just
like to hear a little more edge on it after the initial attack, anyway
please take those as VERY minor comments, all in all very well done!

Glen