[LAU] Softwek and step-sequencers [WAS]: Re: A Project To Upgrade seq24

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Dec 10 15:01:55 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 10/12/2015 15:11, Paul Davis wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 9:06 AM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com
>> <mailto:louigi.verona at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Not THAT hard. I've written a couple of sequencers on Pd. And there
>>     are several out there.
>>

>> It would be pretty/fairly hard. Softwerk has a huge amount of inter-lane
>> modulation/interaction. The pitches, duration, velocities and gating of
>> any number of lanes can be controlled by any other number of lanes.
>>

> So... e.g. pattern two can be the velocities of notes programmed on
> pattern one etc.?

yes.

> The
>> gating concept also requires (i think) a fairly novel way of dealing
>> with time that I think is hard to do in Pd. I could easily be wrong.
>>

> If you have any pointers (or time to explain) I'd be curious to understand
> how the gating works in this case.

i wish i could remember why i called it gating.

each sequence consists of a series of notes with a duration (which can be
fixed by the sequence or determined by 1 or more other sequences), but also
an interval between the notes. this is the "gate time". so if you set the
gate time to 16 and the note duration to 8, you get notes that sound for
1/2 of the step interval. but you can shorten the interval or increase it,
independently for each sequence. if you make the mistake of setting the
note duration > gate time, then you will challenge the polyphony of the
sound generator, because notes will remain on as others start up.

you can also make the gate time be determined by another sequence, in
essence creating a sequence with different intervals between notes.