[LAU] A Project To Upgrade seq24

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Thu Dec 10 16:01:02 UTC 2015

Hello Oliver,

On 12/09/2015 09:17 PM, oli_kester wrote:
> Hi Seq24 users,
>
> For my final year university project, I am taking on an overhaul of seq24.

Great! seq24 is my favorite software step sequencer and looking
critically at it wouldn't hurt I guess.

Below is an excerpt from my project proposal - the list of features I
would like to implement -

> [quote]
>
> << Basic (simple changes that should be quick to address) >>
> - Swap default on midi autoconnect to second value (add to config file)

Could you tell what you mean by this?

> - Song / loop mode switch in main UI

That would be an improvement.

> - Recent files list

Would be nice but personally I don't use this feature a lot.

> - Move config file to .config folder in /home

Another improvement.

> - Label keys correctly on loops past bank 1

There simply aren't enough single characters to label all possible 1024
loops so I'm curious how you plan to fix this. Also this means you have
to expand the Sequence toggle keys part in Options - Keyboard.

> << Medium (bug fixes, smaller new features) >>
> - Don't take scene change inputs when renaming loops

Not sure what this means.

> - With dual screens, remember window placement

I use my WM for this but for those that don't do that this could be a
nice addition.

> - Darken Song mode (overall dark theme like Ardour?)

Personally I don't favor dark themes but if it would be easy to switch
between themes why not.

> - Fix glitch with overlaps in loops

Which glitch?

> - Session manager fixes

No opinion as I don't use session managers.

> - Toggle loops in song mode

Isn't that what live mode is for? ;)

> - Click time bar to position transport

If you're using just seq24 this could be useful.

> - Draw and re-position snap in song mode should behave identically

I don't see the extra value of this but then I mostly use seq24 in live
mode.

> - Add one shot loops

That would be awesome!

> - Decrease size of grid in song mode

Doesn't really bother me but I can imagine people don't like the way it
looks now.

> - Add name of scene to the side when in song view

I've never had the need to use scene names but then again people who do
might find this a good addition.

> - Add autosave function

Always nice, saved my ass a couple of times with Qtractor.

> - Midi send if halfway through note (can be enabled / disabled in preferences)

Could you explain this feature?

> - Draw whole notes instead of cutting off early in song mode loops

You mean in the Song Editor window or in the main window?

> - Add configurable defaults for note length/ grid snap

Would be nice but I never really missed it.

> - Add note stop/panic button

Ok :)

> - Loop colouring

Yes, that would be a welcome addition!

> - Fix bug where certain slots cannot contain loops

Fixing erratic behavior is always good. Is there a bug report of this issue?

> << Challenging (significant new features) >>
> - Add Box select in song editor (REAPER style)

Isn't that what live mode is for? ;)

> - Add redo in song mode

Never missed this feature. I don't recall having used the Undo funtion
either.

> - Add Record in song mode

Isn't that what live mode is for? ;) No honestly, with things like this
you're blurring the difference between Live and Song mode. Why not
completely remove these modes?

> - Allow splitting of song loops at mouse pointer

Not sure why you would want to do this.

> - Zoom in song mode

That would be a great addition.

> - Window title should just have the song name

Preferably not, this would break my WM setup.

> - Fix jack sync bug/reset button

Yes, please! The current solution was a quick fix and this needs be
solved in a proper way. Torben Hohn once wrote a patch for this but he
couldn't find it back anymore :(

> - Relative velocity altering (REAPER style)

That would be nice but all in all the whole concept of changing values
in seq24 needs an overhaul, this line drawing stuff just doesn't work
(at least, not for me).

> - Add a double / half timing switch for live performance

Not really sure what you mean here, or I simply never missed such a
feature ;)

> Where I note “REAPER style”, I plan to source inspiration from the REAPER audio workstation I use under Windows (http://reaper.fm/). The “Ardour” I mention is a Linux audio workstation, and probably the most significant audio project on Linux (http://ardour.org/).
>
> [end quote]
>
> What do you all think? It'll also be great to have a few people test it during development.
> in
> This project will also be open source, and remain faithful to the ideals of the original project.
>
> If you have any feedback on my list of changes or any other suggestions, please do get in touch!
>
> Best,
>
> Oliver

Some other suggestions:
- port it to Qt
- add JACK MIDI support
- make BPM counter reflect the current JACK sync BPM setting
- make the main window really resizable, they are now but the patterns
are a fixed size

Jeremy