[LAU] Jack sample-rate

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Dec 12 14:50:20 UTC 2015

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 9:07 AM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>       On Sat, 12 Dec 2015, Wenger Peter wrote:
>
>             I use music-tracks with 44100 and 96000 sample-rate. Is
>             it, or will it
>             be possible in future to change the rate on the fly?
>             sample-rate and alternate sample-rate? I do not like
>             resampling. I would
>             like to send (copie) it direkt to calf and then to
>             soundcard (USB).
>             PeterW
>

>       I am not sure what you mean by this. It is possible to make changes
>       to jacks sample rate if you use jackdbus from jack2, but still only
>       one rate at a time. Jack will not change rate depending on the rate
>       of a sound file. That doesn't make sense (but then neither does
>       96000).
>

> This is incorrect. There is no API to change the SR of a running JACK instance.
>
> You can, of course, stop and restart JACK with a new SR, but that's not really
> what is being requested.

What jack_control does inside I am not sure. I am sure changing the device
or SR effectively restarts jack as you say. I have not played with SR but
changing latency makes some software go odd already. rakarrack comes to
mind. My work station runs at 48000 for everything. The analog part of my
audio interface seems to sound best there.

The thing is, what the original poster is really asking is not
that clear to me.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net