[LAU] Jack sample-rate

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Dec 12 15:07:13 UTC 2015

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Filipe Coelho <falktx at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is by using switch-master.
> You can change your entire JACK setup on the fly, including the selected
> soundcard.

effectively, the instance is stopped and restarted. all ports and port
connections go away, unless recreated by whatever does the restart.

> If you keep the same jack settings but only change the sample rate you'll
> effectly change the jack sample-rate on the fly.
> Note that JACK2 will call the buffersize and samplerate callbacks to
> inform clients of the change.
> But yeah, since this was something that JACK was not designed for, *all*
> major clients that exist right now do not support this.

it wasn't just that it "wasn't designed for". we explicitly discussed it
and decided that the mere possibility of a changing SR imposed too much of
a burden on clients.

i still don't know, in retrospect, if this was a correct analysis.