[LAU] CPU and mobo

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Dec 19 10:33:40 UTC 2015

Thank you John and Len,

the UEFI question caused much pain and I already planned to download the manual, before I order the board.
The Crucial RAM is advertised with better latency, than the Kingston RAM, OTOH the Kingston RAM got more reviews and my experiences with low cost Kingston RAM are ok. The broken board, an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI, with an AMD Athlon dual-core BE-2350, 45 W, 2.1 GHz, SSE2, 4GB RAM, 2 x Kingston and 2 x Infineon,  lived 7 years and 8 month, while the Kingston RAM was mounted 4 years and 8 month ago. IOW audio work could be done with 2 GB and 4 GB, but was not good to compile Ardour or a web browser in tmpfs. However, I can not buy more than 4 GB now and will buy more in January.  I don't try to repair the old board (excepted I should find some minor issue today), because some proprietary audio software requires SSE3 and because I got bad latency. The TERRATEC EWX 24/96 PCI cards could be used with 2/256, 48 KHz, > 10 ms at high DSP load without xruns and the RME HDSPe AIO PCIe card never runs without xruns at low or high DSP load and was completely unusable at less than 2/256, 48 KHz, no shared IRQ and what ever kernel I used. I'm aware that other Intel CPUs fit to the new board too, but I never will have the money to upgrade to such an Intel CPU, that money is needed for other things, even for other music equipment. I only could pay for better AMD CPUs. Since DSP load wasn't the issue on the broken mobo, I suspect the mobo design, chipset, was the cause, so I'll try Intel, also to get rid of ATI and NVIDIA graphics.

Regards,
Ralf