[LAU] CPU and mobo

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Dec 19 16:36:02 UTC 2015

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I cleared the CMOS RAM of the "broken" mobo, removed the RME and
> TerraTec sound cards and unplugged the DVDRAM from the PSU and mobo,
> now everything works, I just needed to rewrite a script to use enp2s0
> instead of enp3s0.

Good. Better to buy when not in a hurry or under pressure.

> I still want to buy a new mobo, but assumed the issue with the old mobo
> is fixed, then I wont order a new mobo this year.

Be aware that eco friendly is probably not audio friendly. I can get 16/2
performance on my board and even though I don't use it very often, it does
tell me that things are more stable even at higher latencies (and higher
CPU loads). I did try to pick my CPU/MB for lowest possible latency, even
to the point of getting ps/2 for mouse and kb (though I have had two extra
kb plugged into USB with no problems). It is unfortunate that almost all
MB come with built in audio when that is the first thing that gets turned
off, but many server boards do not support video and cost more too. So a
turned off audio set ends up being cheaper.

I did look at Xeon CPUs when I was looking for HW, They do offer some
without the extra HT (AMD uses HT to mean something different) and more
than 4 cores, but I don't know if the added cost of video (and the chip/MB
itself) are worth while.

I would stay away from the "mobile" lines in Intel unless you really want
an i3. (the mobile i5 and i7 are both dual core, slow CPUs) The only
upside I could see to the mobile cpus was the included high res video. I
am guessing Intel expects desktop users to use a card for such things.

The big thing I have learned is that any one cpu "chip" can only get rid
of so much heat. So more cores means less speed (even virtual cores as
with HT). Even graphics on the chip reduces performance in other areas.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net